25 ways to move from performance management to performance leadership and inspire premier employee performance (order not relevant)
1. Stop seeing people as they are. See people as the can be.
2. Find out what’s really important to your people and help them achieve it.
3. Assess performance not people.
4. Stop trying to manage people. Instead lead people.
5. Help each employee to create their own personal piece of your strategy execution map.
6. When you assess performance support assessment with data.
7. Provide "feedforward" before feedback.
8. Focus on standards instead of goals.
9. Discover a shared-view with your employees about where you’re going, why you’re going there, how you will get there, who will do what and when, how you will live your values.
10. Teach people to be accountable and let them be.
11. Appreciate people when they do well.
12. Never confuse a person with their performance.
13. Name the elephants in your rooms.
14. Role model candid and authentic conversations.
15. Never review performance and salary at the same time.
16. See problems as opportunities to innovate i.e. change what’s normal rather than solve the problem and reinstate the status quo (normal).
17. Keep your promises.
18. Praise in public and in private.
19. Share success stories other people can see and feel themselves in.
20. Be a disruptive influence for good.
21. Be fully present in the now.
22. Only have performance conversations about previously agreed actions. Only change actions with agreement.
23. Focus on processes not outcomes.
24. Do your life’s work and inspire your employees to do theirs. Taking the pulse check here may help you and your people. As soon as you complete the pulse check and press send you will be able to download the PDF version of my Changing What's Normal book. Sparkenation 6 in my book 'Discovering Your Life's Work' will help you a great deal because it contains lots for you to think about concerning the 16 statements of the pulse check.
25. Be remarkable at identifying and deploying the gifts/talents of your people. Take the Talent Maximisation Pulse Check here. You just might be staggered by what completing this pulse check will reveal to you. As a thank you for completing the pulse check, as soon as you press send you will be able to download my appendix ebook to the leaders guide in my Enhancing Their Gifts System™ - 45 really useful tools, tips and techniques for recruiting, engaging and retaining great people, a resource people worldwide have used to help them maximise the gifts/talents of their people.
Be the difference you want to see in the world.
I work with business owners/leaders of medium sized business and leaders of divisions in multi-national companies to lift employee performance by enhancing their gifts.