There are 3 oxymorons we need to move on from to further give birth to the new world of work; strategic planning, change management, and performance management.
Strategy fails to get executed usually because the primary executors (your employees) haven't yet bought into the strategy or they yet don't own it.
1) Work with your employees to describe strategy in a sentence.
Strategy then becomes everyone's compass because that's what strategy is, a compass that tells us which way is north.
2) Help your employees to document their piece of the execution map on a page.
Make sure that part of their map is about achieving what's important to them as well as what's important for the business.
We all need a compass and a map to get to precisely where we want to go.
If you need help with these actions sing out. I am a pioneer in co-creating strategy in a sentence and execution plans on a page. I work every day to hone the tools with my clients.
Change management and performance management
About 20 years ago I declared people management dead. People can't be managed.
Change can't be managed either.
We need to lead people and change and manage our processes, procedures, policies, practices and systems, so that they mean it is simple for people to bring their best to their work.
1) Stop trying to manage people and change. Both are a futile exercise that only leads to pain and suffering let alone poor performance.
2) Throw out performance appraisals and anything that even smells like performance management.
3) Start having appreciation and accountability conversations with people about their one page piece of your execution map.
4) Agree on boundaries with people and then let them loose.
5) Link living values, delivering value, and people feeling valued. Remarkable results follow.
If you need help with any of the above sing out. I know what works and what doesn't. And rather than offer you solutions to your challenges, I have mastered ways to work with you so that you discover and determine your own solutions. You will savour your work more and your results will be better.
Be the difference you want to see in the world.