Sparkenation: a spark that ignites passion that leads to action that changes what’s normal.
Listen directly to the podcast version of this post here.
In a nutshell
The secret to leading change and thriving on the challenges of change is following a change process. There's nothing to be gained from trying to manage change or participating in change programs.
Why are we having trouble coexisting in some parts of our world? My short answer is self-interest, self-righteousness, greed, apathy,
Why does us and them still exist in many organisations? My short answer in addition to the above would be change management!
Change management for me is one of the three great oxymorons in business.
The other two are strategic planning and performance management.
Change and performance can’t be managed. They can be led. Your strategy and your execution plan are joined at the hip however they are both very different and must be determined individually.
To sparkenate change we need a change process, not change programs. My change process is pictured below. This was addressed in ‘The Appreciative Leader’ handbook.
There are several exercises in the companion resources web page to the handbook that will help you to master this process or develop and master your own.
Here's the companion resources web page.
My change process is as follows:
My process is adapted from W. Edwards Deming’s work and David Cooperrider’s Appreciative Inquiry.
3 recommended actions
1) Meet with your team and schedule taking the actions relevant to the above change process that are at The Appreciative Leader handbook companion resources web page. You’re looking for the Appreciating what is (Sparkenation 15) and 'Shifting from reality (what is) to Possibility (What Can Be)’ (Sparkenation 16) exercises. Direct link.
2) At a to be scheduled team meeting discuss other uses of the change process or whether or not you should create and use your own process.
3) Choose a theme song for team meetings and always play it at the start of every meeting to get into the state right for the team. Encourage team members to choose songs and regularly change them.
Recommended Deep work
1) Ready and apply in your own best way my ebook ’19 Really Useful Techniques for making difficult conversations history’.
2) Read and apply in your own best way my ebook ‘The great questions remarkable leaders often ask’
3) Decide together as a team how you will incorporate the teachings of the above ebooks in your own best way to uplift your culture.
Do Your Work.